Committee is the group of elected people who help coordinate and manage the Society. There are 11 positions:
- Business Manager, organises money
- Front-of-House Manager, organises box office (tickets) & cafe
- Marketing Manager, organises marketing
- President, organises internal meetings and external meetings
- Productions Manager, stops the shows from fighting each other
- Secretary, organises meetings and membership admin
- Set Manager, organises paints, props, & set
- Social Events Manager, organises socials
- Tech Manager, organises lights, sound, & projection
- Theatre Manager, organises Bedlam maintenance, health, & safety
- Wardrobe Manager, organises costumes
If you are thinking of running for any of these positions, you should read the more detailed descriptions of what they do are listed in the constitution
Committee members are elected. Elections are held at General Meetings. Each position will be first up for election at the Annual General Meeting, however if there are no candidates then an election will be opened one each following General Meeting.
Elections work in the following manner:
- The chair (i.e. the president) will ask if there are any candidates for a position.
- Each candidate will be allowed to give a 3 minute speech. Afterwards they will take questions from other members. The candidates will not be allowed in the room while the other candidates are there.
- This will continue until there are no more candiates:
- Finally everyone will vote on the candiates using STV. There will always be a none of the above. If this wins, then the election will be pushed to the next General meeting.
To be able to be a candiate in an election you have to pass the following critera:
- You have to have bought membership
- You have to be a student of the University of Edinburgh
- Two people will have to nominate you (i.e. get you friend to say that they nominate you for a position).
- You will have to have read the Constitution
Each Committee members have to generally do the following things :
- Be a good person. In particular you need to be open, honest, and impartial.
- Do the duties of your position (as listed in the constitution)
- Staff as a Committee rep! This is like duty managing but you deal with money. You will usually have to do this at least 2 times a semester.
- Go to Committee Meetings! They take place every Monday at 6:30. You need to attend at least 50% of them each semester.
Then are there are annual things to do. Generally in order:
- March Get on the Welcome Week and Freshers’ play proposals.
- March Arrange handoever with your predecessor so you can figure out how things work.
- April Connect your email to a Bedlam Email
- April Get back to the Theatre Manager for your details for the license
- April-August Do your EUSA training. This will appear on Learn and will have a deadline
- April-September Do your Committee Rep training, and any other first aid/other health & safety training required.
- September Do Welcome Week and Freshers’ play! Encourage people to join the Company.
- You then get a little break
- Februrary/March Encourage other people to run for your position at the AGM**
- March Do your Committee member report for EUSA. This is required for your position to end up on your HEAR. It is like a 100 words and you get some instructions when you have to do it.
- March Do your End-of-year report for Bedlam. This is when you list the things you had done that year and what went well/bad. You can also respond to Committee Feedback. It is supposed to be fun so make it silly. You can can read old ones here.
- March Handover! This is when you tell whoever has the position next year on what to do for it. Usually this involes doing your duties together.
- March Bedlam Ball Maintenance! The maintenance after the Bedlam Ball is traditionally done by just Committee (& the Imps).